Friday, February 27, 2009




This is the second card that I made using the "Beautiful Butterflies" stamp set by Clear Dollar Stamps. I came up with this color scheme by using the color scheme tool widget that you can find on my right sidebar. The color scheme is called "Aubergine Garden", and although I'm not a Fuschia or Purple kind of gal, I really like the overall effect of these colors when put together. This stamp set is a superbly detailed set with realistic butterflies as well as stylized, silhouette type butterflies. The sentiments are very sweet in this set, too. I think that I will be inking this set up many, many times! "Beautiful Butterflies" releases on march 1st. Ordering and pricing details may be found HERE. Be sure to see my team members' blogs, Candy, Kim, Laurie, Monique and Stacy for their beautiful samples using "Beautiful Butterflies".


Stamp Sets Used: Clear Dollar Stamps "Beautiful Butterflies", Pretty Little Scriptures, Leaves, Bountiful Branches (Whew!)
Cardstock & Papers: K&Co. Colorbok Textured Brights Cardstock, Paper Trey White Cardstock
Inkpads: Memento Tuxedo Black Ink, Stampin' Up! BashfuGlorious Green, Hunter Green, Baja Breeze, and Bashful Blue Inks, Vivid Raspberry Ink
Markers: Copic Sketch Markers: BG000 Pale Aqua, BG15 Aqua, Bic Mark-It Fandango Pink Marker, Sharpie Pink and Black Markers
Accessories: EK Success Corner Photo Punch, Stampin' Up! Slot Punch, Sewing Machine, Thread, Cloud Template, Tskukineko Sponge Daubers, Adhesives, American Crafts Dimensionals, Kaisercraft Self-Adhesive Pearls: Ice Green, Green and Teal, Michael's Polka Dotted Grosgrain Ribbon
Coloring Medium: Copic Coloring and Blending
Special Techniques: Basic Stamping, Machine Stitching, Paper Tole, Sponging

INSTRUCTIONS:
A 4.25"x 11" card base was cut from Paper Trey White Cardstock and set aside. Three rectangular mats were cut to size: glorious green to 4.25"x5.5.5", fuschia to 3.75"x5" and the white center mat to 3.25"x4.25".

Using the white center mat, I stamped the ferns from another Clear Dollar Stamps set, called "Leaves", alternating Stampin' Up! Glorious Green Ink and Handsome Hunter. I added some flowers using Vivid! Raspberry Ink and using the flowers from the Clear Dollar Stamps set called "Bountiful Branches" (I get so much mileage out of this set!), Then using a Cloud Template and a Tsukineko Sponge Dauber, I sponged the clouds in the background using Stampin' Up! Baja Breeze and Bashful Blue, randomly. The sentiment is from another Clear Dollar Stamps set, called "Pretty Little Scriptures". I stamped that using Memento Tuxedo Black ink overtop the clouds. I glued the large green rectangular mat to the smaller fuschia mat and then those to the white, stamped mat. Using my Janome Hello Kitty Sewing Machine ; ) I machine stitched around all four sides of the large green rectangular mat as well as the center white, stamped mat, alternating various stitches (straight & zig-zag).

I stamped 6 of the butterflies and colored them with Copic Sketch, Bic Mark-It and Sharpie Markers. I blended the colors with the coordinating markers. I cut out each butterfly (this takes patience, now, LOL), and then glued two of the teal and black butterflies to the card front, as well as one of the fuschia butterflies. I adhered the other 3 matching butterflies that I colored and cut out using American Crafts Dimensionals, popping them up for interest. I added small and very small KaiserCraft Ice Green and Teal Self-Adhesive Pearls to the butterfly bodies for more interest. Using a EK Success Corner Photo Punch, I created the green corner embellish, adding two KasierCraft Green Self-Adhesive Pearls to balance. To embellish, I punched a hole with the Stampin' Up! Slot Punch on the side of the card, threading a Michael's Polka Dotted Grosgrain Ribbon through and around and tying off in a Bow Knot. The card front was then glued to the 5" x 10" Paper Trey White Cardstock card base.

6 comments:

Stacy Morgan said...

So springy and vibrant. Great colors and the sprigs and stem background is perfect!

Anonymous said...

Your cards are without a doubt ... SPECTACULAR! I'm always in 'awe' when I come to your blog ... all the vibrant colours and the embellishments that you incorporate make all your creations so beautiful! Love, love, love the green butterfly card ... it's my FAVE! The embossed background, that 'oh so perfect' ribbon, the fluffy clouds and the glazed parts of the butterfly wings ... WOW!

Shawne said...

They are springy, love the bright colors and the textures from the way you emboss your DP. They are beautiful Linda!

Grace said...

Oh Linda... this is soooo pretty! I HAVE to get some clear dollar stamps.... why doesn't money just rain from the skies??? LOL! Love this set and I have about a dozen others picked out ready to buy! So glad I saw this! Come visit my new blog when you have a minute... I FINALLY made the leap!
http://th-ink-ingofyou.blogspot.com

Jami said...

Love these little butterflies!! Love that background you created - gorgeous!!

Mrs. Nancy G said...

Outstanding and so beautiful!!!!

:-)