Friday, January 23, 2009

A Hoot for You!

Good morning all! This weekend, January 23-25, is my turn to host the Clear Dollar Stamps' Weekend Color Challenge at Paper Craft Planet. I don't usually post the sample card or deets for the weekend color challenge this early in the day, but have a full day ahead and thought that those of you who may participate would like a head-start. I know that the CHA (Craft-Hobby Association) Winter Convention begins this Saturday, but those of you who are not attending that have some Clear Dollar Stamps - I hope that you will take time for yourself and play this weekend. Remember, I will choose one card from the weekend color challenge submissions to feature on my blog next Monday! Enjoy!

Stamp Sets Used: Clear Dollar Stamps "What a Hoot"
Cardstock & Papers: K& Co. "Remake" Sunset Oranges, Earth Browns & Pinks Designer Mat Pads, Paper Trey White Cardstock
Inkpads: Stampin' Up! Pretty in Pink & Apricot Appeal Inks, Memento Tuxedo Black & Cocoa Brown Inks
Markers: Copic Sketch Markers - BG000 Pale Aqua, YR21 Cream, YR24 Pale Sepia, YG63 Pea Green, Y21 Buttercup Yellow, Y26 Mustard, E25 Caribe Cocoa, E34 Orientale
Accessories: Nestabilities Labels Two Dies & Ribbon Tags Trio Dies, Karen Foster Click-It Hole Punch Kit, SU! Mat Pack, Paper Piercing Tool, Fiskars Scalloped Shaper Scissors, Cuttlebug, Cuttlebug Perfect Paisley & Floral Fantasy Embossing Folders, Tsukineko Sponge Dauber, Sewing Machine, Thread, Adhesives, American Crafts Dimensionals, Prismacolor Pencils, Making Memories Polo Button Brads, Offray Satin Ribbon.
Coloring Medium: Copic Coloring & Blending
Special Techniques: Basic Stamping, Dry Embossing, Paper Piercing, Sponging, Machine Stitching

INSTRUCTIONS:
A 5"x 5"" card base was cut from Paper Trey White Cardstock and set aside. A 4.5"x4.5" mat was cut using K&Co. Remake Earth Browns Designer Paper, and using my Cuttlebug, I die cut a 4" scalloped square using the Nestabilities Scalloped Square Dies. Both these squares were run through the Cuttlebug using the Floral Fantasy and Perfect Paisley Embossing Folders, respectively. I created a wide horizontal strip out of apricot, patterned color designer paper and backed that up with a wider strip of Paper Trey White cardstock. Using Fiskars Scalloped Shaper Scissors, I free hand cut both sides of the white border on either side of the Apricot colored strip. Using a Paper Piercing Tool, I hand paper pierced each white scallop bump. I glued the stacked strip to the taupe colored card front. Using my Janome Hello Kitty Sewing Machine ; ) I machine stitched along the top and bottom of the Apricot colored horizontal strip and then around the 4 sides of the card front.

The main image was stamped onto Paper Trey White Cardstock using Memento Tuxedo Black & Cocoa Brown Inks, as well as Stampin Up! Apricot Appeal and Pretty in Pink Inks and then colored and blended with Copic Sketch Markers. The stamped colored image was cut out using the Nestabilities Labels Two Dies. I created another matching mat using a Magic Mat cutter out of Paper Trey White Cardstock, as I wanted a smaller mat than what the Nestabilities Labels Two offered. I then matted that handmade cut mat with another larger die cut taupe colored mat with the Nestablities Labels Two dies again. I paper pierced around all four sides of the stamped image, the next white mat and the larger taupe colored mat. The stamped colored image was popped up on the white mat using American Crafts Dimensionals and then popped those two mats together popped up on the taupe colored mat with the same Dimensionals. Using a Karen Foster Click-It Hole Punch Kit, I hand punched a hole in each scallop bump on the pink embossed square mat. The three mats (the image, the white mat, and the taupe mat) were then glued to the pink scalloped mat, and then glued to the card front.

The sentiment was stamped onto Paper Trey White Cardstock using Memento Tuxedo Black Ink. Using the Cuttlebug and the Nestabilities Ribbon Tags Trio Die, I cut a ribbon tag out of the coordinating apricot colored, patterned designer paper. Using the die cut ribbon tag, I traced onto the stamped sentiment cardstock to create a smaller inside sentiment mat. Using scissors, I carefully trimmed inside where I trimmed to create a smaller "oval" inside the apricot ribbon tag. I sponged the edges of the sentiment oval lightly using a Tsukineko Sponge Dauber and SU! Pretty in Pink Ink. I glued the sentiment to the apricot colored ribbon tag. A 5/8" wide Offray Pink Satin Ribbon was thread through the ribbon tag and around the back of the card front and then secured in a bow knot in front. To embellish, I added two pink polo button brads from Making Memories to the upper left corner for balance. To finish, the card elements were glued to the white cardstock base.

2 comments:

Chef Mama Lori said...

Woot-woot for your little hoot!
You're owl card is oh, so cute!
It's very colorful to boot.
So take your horn & blow: toot-toot!

Barbara said...

There's something so adorable about owls! This one is very adorable. I love your choice of colors and the textures. Very nice!