Thursday, March 26, 2009

Clear Dollar Stamps Weekend Color Challenge 3/27-3/29


As promised, I have a new card to share with you this weekend. This is my "Purple Push". Let me explain that I am not, in any shape or form a "purple person"...in fact, it is one of my least favorite colors. So, you're most likely wondering why in the world would I create a "purple card'? The reason is simple...I am hostessing the Clear Dollar Stamps Weekend Color Challenge over on Paper Craft Planet, this Friday March 27th-Sunday March 29th and I decided that I would challenge myself as well as the challenge participants.

The CDS Weekend Color Challenge this weekend is NOT to create a purple card, necessarily...although participants are certainly welcome to do so. The CDS Weekend Color Challenge officially, is to create a monochromatic card -- the color that is used is the participant's choice. Now, this is a color challenge that should suit EVERYONE!! For those who are not familiar with a monochromatic card, it is a card that is strictly one color, but in different tones, hues or tints of that color. White may be used as an optional white for some eye relief and interest. So, since making a monochromatic card wasn't all that difficult for me, I decided to raise the challenge for myself by making a "purple monochromatic card". Thus, the "purple card". All in all, it turned out alright, I'm thinking...but I'm still not liking purple all that much.

I don't know what the weather forecast is in your area, but if it's rainy and gloomy, like here in Maryland, why not check out the Clear Dollar Stamps Weekend Color Challenge, if you haven't already? It begins Friday afternoon and you have until Sunday evening, 9:00 pm EST to submit your challenge cards. I will chose one card submission to feature on my blog the following Monday morning. So I hope that you have a chance to play. You can find all the details here.

Another great opportunity has rolled around to be a Clear Dollar Stamps Guest Stamp Designer! The monthly Guest Designer Contest begins this weekend and if f you're interested in entering the contest, Lori McCroskey has chosen purple as the criteria for a card submission! For more details on how to enter your card for consideration, click here and look for Lori's instructions. Okay, now for the deets on this purple card:

Stamps Used: Clear Dollar Stamps "Beautiful Butterflies" & "Genuine Love"
Cardstock: K&Co. Remake "Lilac Lavenders" Designer Mat Pad, Paper Trey White Cardstock
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Stampin' Up! Lovely Lilac & Elegant Eggplant Inks
Accessories: Cuttlebug, Cuttlebug "Floral Screen" and "Tiny Bubbles" Embossing Folders, Nestabilities Regular & Scalloped Oval Dies, Martha Stewart Lattice Border Punch, Stampin' Up! Mat Pack, Paper Piercing Tool, Copic Sketch Markers, Sewing Machine, Thread, Adhesives, Stampin' Up! Dimensionals, Scotch Pop-Up Foam Squares, Tsukineko Sponge Dauber, KaiserCraft Self-Adhesive "Lavender" Pearls
Techniques: Basic Stamping, Sponging, Machine Stitching, Paper Piercing, Copic Coloring and Blending

Directions:
A 5"x10" piece of Paper Trey White Cardstock was cut to size and set aside. Four square mats were cut to size: Dark Purple 4.75", Medium Purple Print 4.25", White 3-3/8", Very Dark Purple 3.25". Using a Cuttlebug and the Cuttlebug "Tiny Bubbles" Embossing Folder, I embossed the Medium Purple Print Square Mat and then using the Cuttlebug "Floral Screen" Embossing Folder, I embossed the Very Dark Purple Square Mat. I glued the Dark Purple Square Mat to the Medium Purple Print Square Mat together, and using my Hello Kitty Janome Sewing Machine, stitched around all 4 sides of both mats. I cut two horizontal strips from Paper Trey White Cardstock to size: 3.25" wide x 7/8" high and using a Martha Stewart Lattice Border Punch, I created the reticulated top and bottom on the two horizontal strips. Using the Stampin' Up! Mat Pack and a Paper Piercing Tool, I paper pierced two horizontal rows along the width of each horizontal white strip. I glued the two punched horizontal strips to the Very Dark Purple Square Mat, and then glued that to the White Square Mat., gluing that to larger two square, sewn mats.

The sentiment was stamped onto Paper Trey White Cardstock using Memento Tuxedo Black Ink and then cut out using Nestabilities Regular Oval Die. Using a Tsukineko Sponge Dauber, I first lightly sponged around the edge of the sentiment oval using Stampin' Up! Lovely Lilac Ink and then more heavily using Stampin' Up! Elegant Eggplant. Using a Paper Piercing Tool, I paper pierced by hand around the edge of the sentiment oval. Using Nestabilities Scalloped Oval Dies, I mat a scalloped sentiment mat out of a very light lavender, coordinating piece of designer paper. I popped up the sentiment oval over the scalloped sentiment mat using Stampin' Up! Dimensionals, and then popped the layered sentiment up over the card front using Dimensionals, again.

The butterfly was stamped onto Paper Trey White Cardstock, then colored and blended with Copic Sketch Markers. I hand cut out the butterfly and then added KaiserCraft Self-Adhesive "Lavender" Pearls to the butterfly body. I popped up the butterfly slightly overtop the right upper corner of sentiment oval using Scotch Pop-Up Foam Squares. To embellish, I added 4 more KaiserCraft "Lavender" Pearls to each corner of the card front. To finish the card front was then glued to the 5"x10" White Cardstock base.

6 comments:

Chef Mama Lori said...

Linda, LOVE IT! Now, sweetie, did you have a clue that the Guest Designer Challenge is ALSO to use Purple? How cool is that! A 2-fer! Ah, now what stamps to use!

Kevin Renz said...

Linda,

Awesome card! I have a little award for you over on my blog. Come grab it when you get a chance.

The Minister's Wife said...

I'm not a purple person either Linda. But after seeing this, I could become one. Beautiful!!! Just beautiful!!

Stacy Morgan said...

Beautiful Linda. I love purple, your butterfly looks fantastic. Wonderful card. I like the pearls down the butterflies belly. Great job.

Ann said...

Wow! Your butterfly is absolutely gorgeous!

Laurie Wilson said...

Such a pretty card Linda! Lovely butterfly and you did awesome with the purples!