Friday, December 12, 2008

CDS Color Challenge Sample Card #2

This card was originally made as a sample card for our upcoming Clear Dollar Stamps Weekend Color Challenge. The colors that I chose for the challenge are Stampin' Up! Pretty in Pink (Pink Pirouette, may be substituted), Stampin' Up! Real Red and Stampin' Up! Sage Shadow. I created this card Wednesday night when I was having a "bad allergy eye day". That is one of those days when my eyes are so dry and itching and burning that the only relief that I can find is to close them. Now, that makes it a little difficult to create a sample card. So, with that sad, I guess this card doesn't look all that bad, but...I must say that when I created this card, that I wasn't exactly thrilled when I finished it! But I was in love with the K&Co. Somerset Diamonds Vellum and thought that it would make a "beautiful card"!! LOL Isn't it funny how some cards just take on a life of their own? I'll post and upload the second card that did to replace this card for the real CDS Weekend Color Challenge sample card.

Stamps Used: CDS 'For Our Lord"
Cardstock and Papers: K&Co. Somerset Diamonds Foil Vellum, Colormates Medium Autumn Red, Colormates Deep Fairy Tale Pink, Colormates Medium Spring Green, Paper Trey White Cardstock
Inkpads: Stazon Black, Stampin' Up! Pretty in Pink & Real Red Inks
Accessories and Embellishments: Cuttlebug, Regular & Scalloped Oval Nestabilities, Marvy Mega Oval Punch, Piercing Tool, Karen Foster Click-It Hole Punch Tool, Gold Floral Wire, Darice Bells, Sewing Machine, Thread, Making Memories Christmas Poinsettias, Michael's Self-Adhesive Gold Beads, American Crafts Dimensionals, Michael's Holiday Ribbon.
Special Techniques: Sponging, Paper Piercing, Machine Stitching

A 5"x10" piece of Paper Trey White Cardstock was cut for the card base. A 5"x5" piece of K&Co. Somerset Diamonds Foil Vellum was cut and set aside. Using a Cuttlebug and Regular and Scalloped Nestabilities, I die cut the pink scalloped sentiment frame, the sage green sentiment frame and the white sentiment oval. The red sentiment oval was cut using a Marvy Mega Oval Punch, as I wanted another stepped up oval size for an additional sentiment mat, and there is none that size with the Nestabilities.

I stamped the sentiment onto the central white oval, using Stazon Black ink, sponging the edges lightly first with Stampin' Up Pretty in Pink Ink, and then again more heavily, using Stampin' Up! Real Red Ink. Using a Paper Piercing Tool, I free-hand paper pierced around the white sentiment oval, the sage green sentiment frame and the pink sentiment frame. All four ovals were glued together: the white, to the red, to the sage green, to the pink. Using my Janome Hello Kitty Sewing Machine, I stitched around all four sides of the K&CO. Somerset Diamonds Foil Vellum to the Paper Trey White Cardstock base. Using American Crafts Dimensionals, I popped up the oval framed sentiment atop the vellum card base. The three silk poinsettias were arrange for placement around the oval sentiment, and using the holes in the center of the poinsettias, I marked where I wanted to punch the holes for the center poinsettia brads. After punching the three holes, the three poinsettias were attached to the card base using red matching brads. I added self-adhesive gold beads to the center of each poinsettia red brad for interest.

I adhered the Michaels Gold Holiday Ribbon diagonally across the upper left corner and the lower right corner for balance. I attached a matching ribbon bow to the upper right corner ribbon strip and using Gold Floral Wire, attached the Darice Gold Bells to the Ribbon Bow. For added embellishment, I added more Michael's Self-Adhesive Gold Beads to the lower right bottom of the white sentiment oval and then a larger one at the bottom right of the card under the ribbon strip.

No comments: